The WGMS regularly compiles and publishes standardized data on glacier changes in length, area, volume, and mass based on in-situ and remotely sensed observations. A corresponding call-for-data is annually sent out through the National Correspondents of the WGMS who organize the collection and submission of the glacier data within their country. Apart from the official calls-for-data, the WGMS welcomes any glacier data that is submitted according to the standards described below.
Call-for-data now open!
We are calling for glacier changes in length, area, volume, and mass for the observation period 2016/17 as well as for preliminary mass balance results from ‘reference’ glaciers for 2017/18. The deadline for data submission is 1st of December 2018.
For the submission of glacier fluctuation data (i.e., changes in length, area, volume, and mass), please carefully read the Notes on the Completion of the Data Sheets and use the excel-based Digital Data Submission Form of the WGMS:
- WGMS (2017a, updated from earlier versions): General Guidelines for Data Submission and Notes on the Completion of Data Sheets. World Glacier Monitoring Service, Zurich, Switzerland: 19 pp. [pdf]
- WGMS (2017b, updated from earlier versions): Digital Data Submission Form. World Glacier Monitoring Service, Zurich, Switzerland. [excel]
The progress of data submission can be followed directly on our website.
Based on the received data we will update our online products and start the preparations for the third issue of the Global Glacier Change Bulletin (2016-2017). This new publication series merges the former “Fluctuations of Glaciers” and “Glacier Mass Balance Bulletin” series and aims at providing a more integrative assessment of worldwide and regional glacier changes, improving the visibility of our scientific collaboration network, and optimizing our reporting procedures.
For considering an inclusion of your glacier in the Detailed Information Section of the upcoming GGCB, we need the following additional information:
– full mass balance details (i.e. seasonal/annual balances, ELA, AAR, balance distribution with elevation, point balances) for 2015/16 and 2016/17
– overview photograph (at least 600 dpi) from the glacier in 2016 or 2017, including date and referenced by author
– three maps of around A4-size showing the outlines of the glacier, the scale, the direction to North and (a) topography and observation network, (b) annual balance distribution for 2015/16, and (c) annual balance distribution for 2016/17
– short text commenting on the general characteristics of the glacier and the reported balance years; the text should include information on: glacier extent and size, inter-/extrapolation methods, available geodetic surveys, mean annual air temperature and annual precipitation at ELA, remaining ice thickness, etc.
The last issue of the GGCB might serve you as an example during the data preparation.
For the submission of glacier reconstructions (i.e., front variation series), more information can be found here.
For the submission of other glacier datasets (i.e., inventory, photographs) please check the GTN-G website!
If you have any further questions concerning the data submission, please do not hesitate to contact us!